Thursday, May 17, 2007

Scrubs


As some of you may or may not know, my mom had back surgery yesterday. Thankfully, it went very well, and now she is just in the hospital for a few days to recover. That's a big load off. While I was there yesterday (and a number of times before), I noticed a few interesting things about hospitals:



1) No matter what anyone tells you, things never happen close to the schedule given. They'll tell you something is going to take a half hour, and three hours later, eureka! it happens! I don't understand this. I mean, I can understand a little give or take here or there, but to be off by a number of hours is just crazy. We got my mom in the hospital at 8Am. We waited and she went into surgery around 9:45, done at 3:30, and into recovery. She had to be there for 2 hours, but they didn't get her into a regular room until 8:45! The whole time, they just kept telling us to come back and check in a half an hour. How can they be so unsure of what's happening next? They do surgery every day; they should be able to get their finger on the pulse of how long things take...at least to some extent. It's as if in the hospital, when time matters the most, it doesn't matter at all. I mean, I'm incredibly grateful that things went well, however, to just tell someone that they can't see a family member for over a period of 5 hours with no reason is completely unnecessary and insensitive despite any scheduling problems. If it's going to take 5 hours, at least say it will take 4.5. That, I can deal with.



2) why the hell do the janitors wear scrubs? I mean you walk into the place and you can't tell who's a Dr, who's a nurse, and who cleans the bed pans. It's like hospitals have some sort of secret ranking based on the color and type of scrub someone wears. While I was there, I wanted to get something checked out and I pulled my pants down and spread my cheeks for a guy only to find out that he was the hospital chaplain.........funny thing is; he never objected.


Well, I'm thankful things went well and that I had my sister to keep me company. Oh, and I'm glad the chaplain didn't get to third base with me.


Peace

4 comments:

Unknown said...

it is funny i swear. by the way, the score is 7 to 2. and uh oh sketti oooos.

Unknown said...

oh yeah and YOU don't make sense. so there.

K-logik said...

Ok. I have no idea what the hell katie is talking about. Anyone? Anyone have an idea what she's talking about. I heard Katie is on a lot of alergy meds.....so I guess I won't revoke her posting Privileges.

Anonymous said...

The reason it takes so long when you go in for something is because they fuck you at the hospital! I mean your fucking crazy if you don't think there not billing you for visiting. I bet those doctors are on a coffee break that they getting paid for. Besides this probably only happens if you have insurance. I bet you some poor bastard is out right away on the street corner with a bed pan, unless they can fuck the state out of the money.