Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Days Left?


I work for one of US News and World Report's “best companies to work for”. I think it has something to do with the fact that I get dental insurance......

So I was in a meeting the other day, and my group was presenting. There are FOUR people in my group and three of us were presenting (not me). The first person who presented gave me thanks and credit for my work. At the end of the three presentations, my boss said to the department (after neglecting to mention my name or the work I have done), “We would like to apply our platform for you, but there are only Three of us at this point so we can get backed up….Um I mean four of us. There are four of us. Don’t belittle the work K-logic does….” blah blah….

At this point, in a room full of only about 15-20 people, the person who organized the meeting turned to me and asked, “Oh, did you just join the group”? I replied with a tone of embarrassment and pride that my shitty situation had been exposed, “Ummmmmm, about a year ago.” But thanks. Really, that makes me feel great. At this point the meeting dissolved with people melting from the table and gathering their notebooks as some of us left in disbelief, others in an awkward silence, and still others in complete oblivion as to what just happened.
Now, I didn’t expect to present my own data, but I, at the very least, expected to be acknowledged, and I couldn’t even imagine that my work would just be brushed under the rug and balled into that of another entity. And I’m not bitching. I’m just stating simple truths. Truth be told, I’m dispensable. As so many people in corporate America are, I’m dispensable. I guess I’ll dispense myself and perhaps, in turn, make myself indispensable. And this is why I have the counter displayed to the right of this post. But maybe I should just deal. I mean I do have dental.....


Peace, I’m out.

No comments: