Friday, May 11, 2007

Pops at the Pops

So as I'm sure everyone has herd, there was a fight at the Boston pops concert the other night. At a "sophisticated" event in an "upscale" venue, there was a fight. I'm not going to recount the story. If you haven't heard anything, you're lucky, but here's a newscast, check it out. But my question is why is it getting so much press! I know, I know, I'm talking about it too. Well, that's different. I'm talking about the fact that so many people are talking about it for so long.

My thoughts on it are "who the hell gives a shit". So what? So some guy got pissed and hit someone else. It happens all of the time, this really isn't news and it has no real bearing on our lives. Some could argue that it does in the respect that it speaks to the idea that people are violent or it could mean something significant about our society. Maybe our friend Pre was on to something in his comment the other day. That aside though, and looking at this as a strict news story for the "news" they are reporting, it's not "news". People hit each other all of the time. it's not good, but it's not news. It just happened at an unusual place. I could understand 5 minutes on this story, but it's just not worthy enough for 5 days. Just like --the "panic at the pump", "winter weather warnings" (where they show someone scraping their car and going out to buy milk bread and toilet paper and shoveling snow....again), and the "car crash" on 93--it's not news. None of this or any other clever alliteration is news when we're only getting sensationalized hype and irrelevant facts on stuff that just isn't important. It's not that I think a lot of people care about this shit. I just think we have become too used to it.

Next time you watch the news, ask yourself "How much of this deserves my attention and the right to be called news, and how much of this is boarder line entertainment tonight, people magazine, and just a giant so what fest"?

Oh, and why the hell does everyone (or at least every moron interviewed on the news) during a snow storm buy milk bread and toilet paper? #1 I can't remember the last time I was ever stuck inside so long that I feared I would run out of this stuff. #2 Are these things even that necessary on a daily basis, and #3 Four words......Beer, pizza delivery, and an old Tee shirt.

peace, I'm out.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

thats gross. an old t shirt. if you ever...

in this case- the victim has been generating a lot of press himself-- interviews, postings etc. of course he wants to clear his name and that aspect i think is news.

K-logik said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
K-logik said...

I understand your point, but I'm talking more about the initial "uh-oh, they were bad at the fancy concert" kinda of stuff. Not what's developed from it. I mean, it was just sensationalized initially, and that piece of it, in some respects, just turns into nothing more than being that person who looks when they go by a car accident. But I see your point about the guy clearing his name. I think I missed the news by trying to block out the un-news.

Oh and as for the shirt....oops.

Anonymous said...

You know what's better than the news sensationalizing everything? Sensational headlines that should be making news for their sheer awesomeness. Cases in point below, with thanks to the folks at firejoemorgan.com for bringing them to appropriate light.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070511/ap_on_sp_ba_ga_su/bba_al_rdp;_ylt=Ago3n6jda6xkhN2MRy6YbWYLMxIF

http://bp2.blogger.com/_-G2DuseO_j4/Rke7XZ6YqTI/AAAAAAAAAAU/Hml6e_2TZEw/s1600-h/mothersdaysr5.jpg

http://www.wsoctv.com/mlb033/13222064/detail.html

Anonymous said...

Looks like those were too long... Let me try breaking them up and they can be cut in pieces into the browser display.

http://www.cbs8.com/sports/
story.php?id=89858

http://bp2.blogger.com/_-G2DuseO_j4/
Rke7XZ6YqTI/AAAAAAAAAAU/Hml6e_2TZEw/
s1600-h/mothersdaysr5.jpg

That oughta do it.

Anonymous said...

Good christ, learn how to make an HTML link, for fuck's sake.

K-logik said...

Thanks for the links ck. interesting....

I'm curious if the sports stories were titled such since the articles were a bit inconsequential?