Sunday, April 15, 2007

Where's Capitalism at the park?

Whhaaaad up. So In my post about the Red Sox, I said that the beers at the game were 6 bucks. Well, after going to the game on Friday night I have to write a retraction. I was wrong. That was lat year's price. This year they go for 7 bucks for a bud light! And if you want a "premium" beer, it is 7.75. That's some crazy shit. That was enough to make me feel stooopid for buying one beer for what you would pay for a six pack.....I didn't drink much. Plus I wanted to enjoy the game and not be hammered. However, we did want a couple of beers during the game. At the top of the 3rd, we decided to take a piss and get a couple of beers. So as we were in line trying to get a beer, I noticed that it was moving along at an ok pace. That's when I noticed the blue and white beer tap. I looked at the letters on the tap the guy was pulling to make beer magically flow from the spout like a golden, amber wave of glory. I couldn't wait for a beer......but then it happened. I noticed that it was miller lite. I will not drink miller lite because they support illegal immigration. (that's what I heard on a radio show I listen to. I trust the source, and for that reason, I will NEVER drink a miller product).

Anyway, after I told my girlfriend that I was very sorry for making us miss more of the game and that I had to move to another beer line based on principal, we headed over to a red and white striped awing that read "beer and nuts". I figured that it wouldn't be too long until we had our bees in had an we able to make it back to our seats. She went over to get a bag of popcorn, and I waited in line. I waited and then she was back with the popcorn a couple of minutes later. I hadn't moved, but a couple of people gathered behind me to wait for a beer too. Minutes passed. The bag of popcorn dwindled. I turned and noticed that the Angles scored a run. From the same TV screen, I saw Manny get up twice. I was about to just go back to my seat so I could watch the game we had paid an arm and a leg to see, but I thought, it's just not right to leave the line after the time I've invested already. I decided to make a go for it and commit to not leaving the line under any circumstance (unless of course Wally the mascot was handing out free beers a few feet away).

I began to hear the guys behind me start to complain about the line. I started complaining to my girlfriend. I started saying "what the fuck! I just want a beer. All they have to do is pull the little lever and beer will come out. It's not that difficult. Why the hell isn't the line moving faster". I watched a guy, in his 50s, start walking up to the front of the line, and the guys behind me without hesitation started to yell at him to get the back of the line. I wasn't sure if he was trying to cut, but I'm glad they said something before I had to. There's no reason to cut in line in this situation. It's just not right. Everyone want's their beer to get back to the game. After this point, the people in front of me, the guys behind me, and we were getting frustrated. I finally saw the line in front of me melt away slowly. And then it was my turn! I had my ID ready and money in hand. I could still hear people in the back of the line complaining about the wait. Then I looked down at the guy puring the beer...... He had one arm! Son of a Bitch! I felt like a jack ass, and I heard the comments behind me fade away when they noticed the same thing. But i was also thinking.....ya think Arrowmark (the company who charges the 7 bucks per beer and who runs the concessions at Fenway and many parks in the country ) could pay the extra money to get a two armed beer vendor......I'm kidding. Its actually was impressive to see him work as quickly as most of the beer vendors while being polite too. I mean, the fact that he kept shooting the shit with the other guy behind the counter who wasn't doing anything probably slowed him down too. That was just the thought in my head at the time; not to be a retarded douch bag(for pres).

At any rate, we made it back in the 5th inning and the sox ended up kicking the snot out of the Angels. Oh and we knew they were going to win from the 8th on, but we wouldn't leave even though they were sure to win.....it's just not right. At any rate, the final score made my beer wait better. I just thought I'd put that out there. If you want a beer, just check the guy pouring first. If he's a chatty- one-armed beer pourer, get in a different line!

And a comment on the price of beer at sporting events. It seems messed up that they charge so much for one beer. If the park would let people bring in beverages like they do in NASCAR, that would never happen. Since the parks don't let beer in and they have an exclusive deal with one vendor, they can charge anything they want. Now maybe I'm getting old, but the prices now are so absurd that my beer purchases have definitely been affected. Hopefully that will carry through all of the fans and they will lower their prices to move more volume. I doubt it, but we'll see. In the mean time; Play ball, and enjoy beer if you can.

No comments: