Thursday, April 12, 2007

When I say Red Sawx You Say.....

This blog comes with opening day at Fenway. I love the Sox, and I love Boston, but I have to say that I do have a problem with some issues surrounding the red sox. I know I know….it sounds bad especially that my girlfriend and I have tickets for Friday’s game (for which I’m psyched). However, what I want to talk about is simply something that comes from some of the things that come with being in the greatest baseball city in the world…….

First off: the news. Now I’m not a fan of news anchors to begin with. Most news anchors are retarded douche bags (that for pres), and they don’t really give a shit about the team, but they sit there and have ridiculous banter about how excited they are for the red sox. It doesn’t even seem real most of the time. It’s just corny and annoying. Form there, they have peripheral stories where they’ll have stuff like “ticket scalping!” Ohhh who gives a shit? That’s how most people around here can actually get a damn ticket most of the time. And for people who live in the city, the games are great if you can get tickets……but most of the time, you can’t. We are just stuck without tickets like everyone else. With out the ability to get them without sitting on line for four hours to get a game on April 13th against LAA. (For the Yankees, that’s a separate waiting day). Also, the tickets we got cost us 90 bucks for OK seats! (as I’m sure all of you have experienced) That’s almost $100 just to see the inside of the ballpark. And then we have $6 bucks a beer $4-5 for a hot dog…and so on. Plus if we want to bypass the lines at the T and the Bus, we have to pay another $90 for parking! Ok……everyone has to deal with that. However, as a Boston resident we have the additional cost plus the hassle of having to get home from work later in the day because of the traffic on the T and the Pike that happens with every home game. We have to deal with out of town drunk people in the city hanging around, and the additional college kid who likes to think he was the first reds sox fan in the history of baseball, and we have the added pleasure of paying for the police who aren’t out here patrolling to combat our increasingly high murder rate, but who are out here fighting scalpers, dealing with traffic, and arresting the rowdy sports fan who gets out of hand………..

That said, I’m not saying I don’t love the Red Sox, or that I’m the biggest fan either. I was a late bloomer, and it wasn’t until Shawn, Mitch and Tom came up during my college years to take me to a game when I realized the magnetic passion of the sport. It was then when I began to love the Sawx (affectionately spoken). Shortly thereafter, I realized I loved my girlfriend (the girl I’m living with now) when she (a Yankees fan at the time before I converted her) brought pizza and caffenated beer to my studio apartment throughout the post season of 2004 because I couldn’t leave my place after haven seen the sox come back against the Yankoffs after being down 4-0. She knew that the only way to get my attention was to be with me in my apartment during that tumultuous time. If I left the exact room I was in when they started winning it would cause their streak to crumble……That’s how being a fan goes. I really hope they don’t mount a comeback this year after I see them playing while I’m getting my nutz waxed.

At any rate, we love the Red Sox, and hate the Yankees. We love the excitement, the stories that surround the red sox, and the history and passion of the team. All I’m saying is that it has become frustrating to hear the fake news anchors and to deal with the surrounding problems with the game. Plus, not being able to get a ticket just to see a game at the park down the street or needing to have to plan a mini vacation to have a seat at the game is frustrating (I mean some hotels in the area plan destination vacations surrounding getting tickets to a Sox game, and competing with people who have the money for that becomes exclusive), but all in all…….I guess it is a truly unique experience. We’re lucky to be around a team like this; to live around the excitement of the park in its purity is something to cause reflection. To see it when you’re walking to have a drink on a quiet Wednesday night on a late November evening is amazing, and I’m lucky for that. That’s the time the spirit is at it’s best; without the rest of the responsibility that comes with living next to the most electric baseball park of all time. When you can feel the overwhelming awe of the season past by looking up at the green gates and brick walls of the immense structure of Fenway park you know that it’s something more. At this moment, you can embrace the faint echo of all the excitement held by the past season and past generations of baseball fans and you are able to envision how that will spill into the future of baseball. It’s quiet on the outside, but stirs with a ringing in your ears and in your heart that lets you know baseball is alive and that you’re a lucky to be a Bostonian.

No comments: